Today I took time to think about how I treat myself. I realized I am not taking enough time for self-love. I'm not taking time to do those things that I love to do to help me feel better in my skin. Yes exercise is important, eating healthy is essential, but self-love is truly key to be totally well in your mind, body and spirit. Below are my 6 simple ways I show myself love. Give them a try...they really do put you into a self-love mode!
- OH THE FEELING - when was the last time you took time for a long hot bath filled with lavender oil with candles and soft music. Has been longer than a week? You should schedule a time for yourself once a week to take a nice long hot bath. Not only is it a great destressor, but it also is wonderful for your muscles and joints. Lavender Essential oil has wonderful medicinal uses and one of them is relaxation. You can also continue the feeling of relaxation by defusing lavender oils in your bedroom. (for more tips on reducing your stress click here)
- AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER - no, not that kind of an affair. I am talking about an affair with something that you see everyday when you wake up in the morning and when you go to bed at night. Your bedroom. Your bedroom should be you sanctuary. A place where you can go to relax and rest. It really isn't a place to work or even watch TV. It should be a place that facilitates relaxation and peace. As soon as you walk into your bedroom you should be able to say "ahhhh". We had an expert on interior design and emotions, Sherry Ways, on our broadcast not too long ago. She stressed the importance of using color to help your relax, to have pleasant sounds in your rooms (put on a CD of meditation music or the sound of ocean waves), and a relaxing smell ie lavender, to get rid of all the clutter on the surfaces, and to have a bed that truly is comfortable and soothing. If you share your room wit h your significant other, you can still pick times of the day/week when they may not be there to relax, nap and just be.
- PEACE BE STILL - Over the last few years I have learned to meditate. I thought I was meditating before but it wasn't until I went to a yoga retreat sponsored by Rhonda Jones that I really began to understand not only how to meditate but the benefits of meditation. Not only can it be relaxing, but it helps to clear your mind and to usher in a since of peace. During the course of our day it is refreshing and necessary to be able to stop and got to a "place of peace" in your mind. Meditation also lowers your blood pressure, puts you in touch with the divine or the spirit with in, and improves your mind, body spirit connection. Take five minutes out of your day to start. Close your eyes, take three cleansing breaths to start, then begin to focus on your breathing, perhaps say silently to yourself an affirmation/Scripture or visualize a place in that brings you peace. After five minutes or so open your eyes. You will be surprised how much better you feel. It might take some time but it is so worth it to learn this practice of self-care and self-love.
- A LITTLE TO THE RIGHT PLEASE- A message is one of the best self-care practices you can start for your mind, body,spirit connection. There are many benefits to message therapy. Message therapy can enhance your immune system, improve joint flexibility, lessen feeling of depression and anxiety, increase endorphins and "feel good" hormones, and increase the blood flow to vital organs.
- HEY GIRLFRIEND - I can't stress enough how important it is to spend girlfriend time. Studies have shown that when you spend time with "the girls" there are hormones that are secreted that aren't secreted at any other time. It feels good to exchange ideas with "like" minds, and to have an Amen corner to the good and bad experiences in our lives. Spending time with your girlfriends is a form of affirmation of the fun and beauty of being a woman.
- REMOVE THE TOXINS - We must detoxify our lives to stay healthy. It is always important to remove the toxins from our body but that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about removing those elements in our life that are toxic. Toxic people, toxic environments, toxic relationships, toxic emotions... (For more information about detoxing your lives, hear are some great and informative articles in our "DeTox" Issue of my e-magazine Wellness Woman 40 and Beyond)